Table of Contents
A solar cooker is a device that uses the energy of the sun to heat, cook, or pasteurize food or drink. The source of heat is sunlight, and the device can be used to cook food when the sun is out. You can make a solar cooker at home with some materials.
The materials you need to make a solar cooker are:
- A large cardboard box
- Aluminum foil
- Black construction paper
- Clear plastic wrap
- A ruler or measuring tape
- Glue or tape
- A large piece of dark-colored fabric (optional)
Steps of Making a Solar Cooker
Once you have gathered the materials, you can start to make the solar cooker. Follow these steps:
- Cut the cardboard box into four pieces using the scissors. The four pieces should be two large rectangles and two small rectangles.
- Place the two large rectangles together so that the sides are touching. These will form the base of the solar cooker.
- Glue the two small rectangles together so that the sides are touching. These will form the sides of the solar cooker.
- Attach the sides to the base by gluing the edges together. Make sure the sides are evenly spaced.
- Measure and cut the aluminum foil to fit the top of the solar cooker. Glue the aluminum foil to the top.
- Measure and cut the black construction paper to fit the sides of the solar cooker. Glue the black construction paper to the sides.
- Cut two pieces of clear plastic wrap to fit the top of the solar cooker. Glue the pieces of plastic wrap to the top of the solar cooker, making sure to leave some air pockets between the pieces.
- Cut a piece of dark-colored fabric (if using) to fit the top of the solar cooker. Glue the fabric to the top of the cooker, making sure to leave some air pockets between the pieces.
Tips on Making a Solar Cooker
- Make sure to use a large enough cardboard box so that the solar cooker can cook large items.
- Be sure to use thick cardboard for your solar cooker. Thinner cardboard may not be able to hold the weight of food.
- Be sure to use a dark colored fabric for the top, as this will absorb more heat from the sun.
- Be sure to use clear plastic wrap for the top, as this will allow sunlight to pass through to the food.
- Be sure to leave some air pockets between the plastic wrap and the fabric, as this will allow heat to circulate.
Making a solar cooker at home is an easy and fun way to cook food while using the power of the sun. With some simple materials and a bit of know-how, you can have your own solar cooker in no time. Remember to follow the steps and tips listed in this article to ensure that your solar cooker is made correctly.